This nameplate first appeared for the 1950 model year as a premium two-door coupe within Mercury’s postwar lineup, created to give the brand a more upscale and stylish image. By 1952 it had expanded into a broader full-size series, and over the next two decades it moved between different roles in the division’s hierarchy, at times serving as Mercury’s volume full-size offering and at other times a more upscale mainstay. Through the 1950s and 1960s it changed with the rest of the full-size Mercury range, adopting new bodies, rooflines, and trim themes as market tastes shifted toward bigger, more formal American cars. The nameplate remained a familiar part of the brand’s full-size lineup until the end of the 1974 model year, when that original production run concluded. The badge returned much later on a very different vehicle: a minivan sold for the 2004 through 2007 model years, unrelated in body style and market position to the earlier full-size cars. Because the nameplate was revived after a clear production gap, its history is best understood as two separate eras rather than one continuous run.
MODEL HISTORY